Pre-Legislative-Session Forum and Legislative Advocacy Training
Date/Time: Saturday, January 7th, 2017 – 8:45 to 3:30 – Registration opens at 8:15
Location: Jewish Community Center
5520 Wyoming Blvd. NE in Albuquerque
Registration/Cost: $20 per person, which includes lunch and the afternoon workshop if you choose to stay for it. Please register in advance so we can have adequate supplies of the materials, lunch and refreshments. See registration form and information below.
About the Forum: The annual Forum provides a review of significant disability issues in New Mexico and a preview of what will be addressed in the coming state legislative session. If you want to know what’s happening and what you can do about it, the Forum is for you! We’ll be covering:
- changes in state service systems as the DD waiver and Centennial Care come up for renewal and the state moves to comply with the federal rule on integrated settings,
- the outlook for the state budget and how it will affect persons with disabilities
- changes in leadership in the state House and Senate
- the Trump administration – what’s in store for Medicaid and other health care options?
- bills and memorials to be considered in the 2017 session: licensure and oversight of boarding homes serving persons with mental illness or other disability; prohibiting restraint/seclusion in public schools; transferring DVR to the Workforce Solutions Department; authorizing “aid in dying”; and much more!
Legislative Advocacy Workshop: How does a bill become law, and how does the legislative process really work in New Mexico? In our afternoon session, find out how you can have an impact on what the Legislature does, and why it’s important for you to do so. Ellen Pinnes from The Disability Coalition and Jim Jackson from Disability Rights New Mexico, who both have years of experience as public interest “lobbyists”, will explain how the Legislature works and share tips for communicating with legislators. All workshop participants will receive a “Legislative Tool Kit” full of information and resource materials. And you’ll have an opportunity to sign up for DRNM’s Policy and Legislative Action Network. As part of the PLAN, you can join with others to become an active advocate on issues affecting the disability community and have an impact on important public policy decisions.
To register for these events:
- By mail: Print and fill out the registration form below, and mail it to Disability Rights New Mexico (DRNM), 3916 Juan Tabo NE, Albuquerque, NM Enclose your check for $20, or mark the box showing that you will pay at the door and bring your check or cash on January 7. Mailed registrations must be postmarked by December 30, 2016.
- By email: Send an email to email@example.com. Put “Forum Registration” in the subject line. Cut and paste the registration form below into the body of the email and complete the form, or just provide the information called for on the form in your email. You can then mail in a check, or you can indicate on the form that you will pay at the door. Remember to bring your payment when you come to the Forum on the 7th.
- By phone: Call the DRNM office (505-256-3100 or toll-free at 1-800-432-4682). Indicate that you are calling to register for the forum and provide your name and contact information. Be aware that the DRNM office will be closed from December 26 through December 30, but you can leave a voice mail message that week.
- By fax: Send the completed registration form to DRNM at 505-256-3184.
If you are registering by phone, fax or e-mail, please do so by 5:00 on Tuesday, January 3, 2017. Although we will be accepting registrations at the door, we cannot guarantee copies of the materials or a lunch for you unless you have registered in advance.
The $20 registration fee must be paid in cash or by check. We do not accept payment by credit/debit card.
Disability accommodations. Sign language interpreters will be provided throughout the day. If you need any other disability-related accommodation in order to participate in the meeting, contact the DRNM office at 505-256-3100 or 1-800-432-4682, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please let us know of any such needs by 5:00 on Tuesday, January 3 so we’ll have time to make the arrangements.
Driving Directions to the Jewish Community Center: The Center is located at 5520 Wyoming Blvd. NE, a few blocks south of Academy and a few blocks north of Spain. The building is on the east side of the street and sits back a little bit from the street. There is plenty of parking in front of the building, including a significant number of accessible spaces close to the entrances.
From the far north: Take Paseo del Norte or San Antonio to Wyoming and head south.
From the south: Take I-25 north to Montgomery, then go east to Wyoming and head north, or take I-40 east to Wyoming and head north.
From the west side: Take Paseo del Norte past I-25 until you reach Wyoming, and head south.
City bus service: The Jewish Community Center is served throughout the week by Route 31, which runs up and down Wyoming.
* * * * * * *
The forum is sponsored by The Disability Coalition and Disability Rights New Mexico.
- The Disability Coalition is a statewide cross-disability coalition representing persons with disabilities, family members and advocates. The pre-legislative-session forum is funded by a grant from the Developmental Disabilities Planning Council and by funding from the other members of the Coalition’s Steering Committee, which includes The Arc of New Mexico, Independent Living Resource Center, New Vistas, and DRNM. The Coalition is administered as a project of DRNM.
- DRNM is a non-profit organization founded in 1979 whose mission is “to protect, promote, and expand the legal and civil rights of persons with disabilities”. The forum’s legislative advocacy workshop is presented as part of DRNM’s Policy and Legislative Action Network (PLAN), which encourages members of the disability community to be involved in policy-making in New Mexico.
Organization (if any): __________________________________________________
Registration Fee ($20):
___ Enclosed is my check for $20, made out to Disability Rights New Mexico.
___ I will pay at the door (cash or check only; no credit or debit cards, please).
Please let us know which parts of the event you plan to attend:
___ Morning issues forum
___ Lunch (Please let us know if you have any special dietary needs)
___ Afternoon legislative advocacy workshop